Repairing and reordering of a church
Although there is believed to have been an earlier church on this site, this church dates from the 14th century. The reconstruction of the church mainly took place between 1485 and 1525, by an architect called John Wastell.
The building is regarded as one of the finest churches built in the style of late perpendicular, and was one of the last church to be completed before the English Reformation. Local merchant families paid for the extraordinary cost of the work, people who had become amongst the wealthiest in England. These families also continued to pay for the upkeep of the building.
Nick Jacob has been the Quinquennial Architect for some time, meaning that we have undertaken many repairs on the building. We have also been responsible for re-ordering and internal changes, including the visitors shop, vestry/robing cupboards and seating.