Each major cultural era in Western society—the Renaissance, the Baroque, Modernism— had its register in five areas: art, music, theatre, dance, and architecture. Here Shaun Soanes takes a look at why architecture has been sidelined in the hip-hop movement.
Modern architecture is full of surprises but some of the interesting buildings around the world started life as a joke. Shaun Soanes investigates.
Architecture is the art of designing and building structures for the benefit of communities. So what happens when the purpose of the project is to keep people out? Shaun Soanes explores the controversial concept of hostile architecture.
Studies show there has only been incremental improvement in racial diversity and the representation of women in architecture in the last few years. Here, just weeks after the sector celebrated International Women in Architecture Day – also known as #EthelDay – Shaun Soanes explains why we need to push for more.
Architects struggle to drop the jargon and engage the public. That was the message from writer and broadcaster Tom Dyckhoff earlier this month after he started a furious Twitter argument by suggesting that architects speak in deliberately unintelligible language. Here Shaun Soanes joins the debate.
Rapper Kanye West has created an architecture wing for his popular Yeezy brand. But does the profession really need a celebrity to “make things as dope as possible”? Here Shaun Soanes examines the flurry of speculation, excitement and ridicule surrounding the announcement.
We are delighted to announce that we have won two awards celebrating excellence in our sector.
We won the category for Individual Trade for our work on Aldehurst, Aldeburgh and the Restoration category for St Edmunds Church in Southwold at the RIBA Suffolk Craftsmanship Awards 2018.
We are looking forward to making a splash at a charity dragon boat race this summer.
We have pulled together a team of 15 from Nicholas Jacob Architects to fundraise for the event, which is being held in aid of Fresh Start New Beginnings – a treatment service for victims of child sexual abuse.
This month Phillippe Starck revealed plans to build a 14-storey hotel in the French city of Metz, with an 18th-century-style house on the roof. Here Shaun Soanes explores the idea of mixing old and new.
York was named the best place to live in the UK by The Sunday Times last month for boasting “the perfect mix of heritage and hi‑tech”. Here Shaun Soanes looks at what makes a city, town or village special.
3-8 Bolsover Street
London, W1W 6AB
Phone : 0207 118 2210
- Celebrating a double award winMay 24, 2018 - 11:29 am
- NJ Architects set to make a splash for charityApril 24, 2018 - 10:01 am
- Celebrating team growth as we head into 2018December 1, 2017 - 4:38 pm
- Do architects still put pen to paper?September 29, 2017 - 11:55 am
- Shaun set to go the extra mile for charityJuly 5, 2017 - 11:04 am
Selection of Projects
- Reconstruction and internal adaptation of listed hallSeptember 24, 2018 - 12:23 pm
- Reconstruction and extension of listed hallSeptember 24, 2018 - 12:13 pm
- Restoration & expansion of museumFebruary 23, 2017 - 3:31 pm
- Gippeswyk HallFebruary 23, 2017 - 3:16 pm
- Major repair and extension programme for a churchFebruary 23, 2017 - 12:55 pm
- The National TrustFebruary 21, 2017 - 3:05 pm